THE VFA PIONEER HISTORIES PROJECT
Dr. Mary E. Hunt
“What a Privilege It Is to Do This Work – and How Lucky to Be a Feminist.”
Feminist theologian, Professor, Author, Editor. Co-founder and co-director of the Women’s Alliance for Theology, Ethics, and Ritual (WATER) in Silver Spring, MD. American Academy of Religion. Society of Christian Ethics and the Catholic Theological Society of America. Advisor to the Women’s Ordination Conference. Active in the Women-Church Convergence.
Interviewed by Mary Jean Collins, VFA Historian, December 2020
Photo 1. Mary Hunt, WATER Co-founder and Co-director in 1983. Photo 2. Mary traveled to Matanzas, Cuba to celebrate Dr. Ofelia Ortega’s reception of her Doctorate of Ministry, 2019.
More About Mary:
- Biographical summary including education, employment history, membership and activities and selected lectures and teaching
- Select Publications and reviews
- Select tapes and video
- The Secret History of Sex, Choice and Catholics (DVD), Catholics for Choice, 2012
- Making the Connections: Feminist Liberation, Theology and Spirituality, Credence Cassettes, Kansas City, MO: National Catholic Reporter Publishing Co., 1988.
- Religion Dispatches Postings
- Select interviews
- “Across Generations: Interview with Mary E. Hunt,” by Kate Stoltzfus, Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion, 33.1, pp. 183-196, 2017.
- “Religião e feminism combinam?” Interview with Mary E. Hunt, CartaCapital, Ingrid Matuoka, 6 Decembero 2016.
- WATER Women's Alliance for Theology, Ethics, and Ritual
- Mary E. Hunt’s archives, Sophia Smith Collection, Smith College, Northampton, MA
- Cited in Barbara Love's book, Feminists Who Changed America, page 228