THE VFA PIONEER HISTORIES PROJECT
April 11, 1921 – July 18, 2020
“I consider the Women’s Movement the most profound revolution in the history of our world and consider it an honor to have been a part of it.”
A passionate feminist who changed the future of women’s rights in Texas and in America, driven by the desire to improve the lives of others. Founding president of the Women’s Center of Dallas.
Photo 1. Maura McNiel, heralded as the “mother of the women’s liberation movement in Dallas,” helped found Women for Change in Dallas in 1971 and served as the group’s first president. Photo 2. With Gloria Steinem in 1972. Photo 3. With Vivian Castleberry in 2011.
More About Maura:
- Maura McNiel, longtime leader of the Dallas feminist movement, dies at 99
- The Veteran Feminists of America
- Maura McNiel in the Handbook of Texas Women
- Maura McNiel papers, 1970-1985, Archives of Women of the Southwest, SMU Libraries
- Texas Women’s Foundation website