THE VFA PIONEER HISTORIES PROJECT
October 16, 1928 – January 3, 2010
“Courage to be is the key to revelatory power of the feminist revolution.”
Radical feminist philosopher, academic, author and theologian.
Photo 1. Mary Daly circa 1970. Photo 2. Mary Daly holds a double-headed ax, a symbol that modern-day feminists link to Amazon warriors and lesbian and feminist strength. Daly repeatedly challenged the Boston College establishment until a legal case led to her retirement. (Photo by Gail Bryan)
More About Mary:
- Feminist Theologian Mary Daly Remembered, NPR, All Things Considered, January 5, 2010
- The Radical Feminist Philosophy of Mary Daly, Justine Durrell
- Tribute to Mary Daly, Waterwheel, a Quarterly Newsletter of the Women’s Alliance for Theology, Ethics and Ritual, 2010
- Interview with Mary Daly on KDVS, April 5 2006
- Mary Daly papers, Sophia Smith Collection of Women’s History
- Mary Daly’s profile on LGBTQ Religious Archives Network
- Cited in Barbara Love’s book, Feminists Who Changed America, pages 106 – 107
- Books and Selected writings by Mary Daly
- The Church and the Second Sex. Harper & Row, 1968.
- The Spiritual Dimension of Women’s Liberation. In Notes From The Third Year: Women’s Liberation, 1971.
- A Call for the Castration of Sexist Religion. In The Unitarian Universalist Christian27 (Autumn/Winter 1972), pp. 23–37.
- Beyond God the Father: Toward a Philosophy of Women’s Liberation. Beacon Press, 1973.
- God Is A Verb. In Ms., (Dec., 1974), pp. 58–62, 96-98.
- Gyn/Ecology: The Metaethics of Radical Feminism. Beacon Press, 1978.
- Prelude to the First Passage. In Feminist Studies, vol. 4, no. 3 (Oct., 1978), pp. 81–86.
- Pure Lust: Elemental Feminist Philosophy. Beacon Press, 1984.
- Websters’ First New Intergalactic Wickedary of the English Language, Conjured in Cahoots with Jane Caputi(with Jane Caputi and Sudie Rakusin). Beacon Press, 1987.
- Outercourse: The Bedazzling Voyage, Containing Recollections from My Logbook of a Radical Feminist Philosopher. Harper San Francisco, 1992.
- Sin Big. In The New Yorker(Feb 26 & Mar 4, 1996), pp. 76–84.
- Quintessence… Realizing the Archaic Future: A Radical Elemental Feminist Manifesto. Beacon Press, 1998.
- Amazon Grace: Re-Calling the Courage to Sin Big. Palgrave Macmillan, 1st ed. Jan. 2006.