THE VFA PIONEER HISTORIES PROJECT
Dr. Marilyn Heins
“I Didn’t Realize I Was a Pioneer.”
Pediatrician. Author. Equal Rights Advocate. Policy Maker and Changer. National Board of Medical Examiners. The Commission on the Status of Women at Wayne State University. Advisory Council to the Radcliffe Programs in Health Care. Committee to Write Child-Abuse Legislation for the State of Michigan. Association of American Medical Colleges. American Hospital Association. Editorial Board of the Journal of the American Medical Association, and the National Board of Medical Examiners.
The VFA would like to thank Sheila Tobias, Convenor of the Tucson-Based group of activists; Dean J.P. Jones, University of Arizona, College of Social and Behavioral Sciences; Jennifer Croissant, Chair, Gender and Women’s Studies; David Sanchez, Videographer and Editor; and Graduate Student Ruben Ernesto Zecena. Interview conducted March 2019.
Photo 1. Dr. Marilyn Heins. Photo 2. Marilyn in 1984. Photo 3. The White Coat Ceremony: Marilyn with her daughter and granddaughter in 2018.
More About Marilyn:
- Parent Kids Right – a free parenting advice website by Dr. Marilyn Heins
- Meet Dr. Heins #thisistucson
- Dr. Heins on Amazon
- Women’s Plaza of Honor
- Dr. Heins recalls the Detroit riots – Stephanie Steinberg, The Detroit News
- Wayne State University – The Commission on the Status of Women
- The Detroit Physician Study 1979
- Cited in Barbara Love’s Book – Feminists Who Changed America – page 207