THE VFA PIONEER HISTORIES PROJECT
“We are going to keep organizing and fighting, and we demand our equality and we will one day win it.”
Organizer, strategist and activist. NOW: Boston, NYC, Illinois, Washington DC. Central America solidarity movement. Ounce of Prevention Fund. Union manager with Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Teamsters, UNITE and Actors’ Equity.
Interviewed by Mary Jean Collins, VFA Historian, at the UIC Richard J. Daley Library, Chicago, IL, June 15, 2019
Photo 1. Gail in front of the exhibit celebrating the ERA campaign of the 1970s-1980s at the UIC Richard J. Daley Library, Chicago, IL, 2019. Photo 2. Gail demonstrating, from the ERA Countdown Campaign, urging Illinois Gov. Jim Thompson to use his office to help ratify the ERA for Illinois.
More About Gail:
- AEA Welcomes New Western Regional Director
- Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
- Equality Riders, Daily News, February 2, 1982
- Post ERA: Denise Fuge and Gail Gabler interview, July 29, 1982 Pacifica Radio Archives
- Gail was a member of the Summer Research Team (SRT) at the Harvard University Kennedy School of Government’s Institute of Politics; the SRT performed and compiled research on the four non-incumbent transitions since 1952 and provided assistance in the preparation of the group’s report on Presidential Transitions, issued to President-elect Ronald Reagan
- Brigadista: Harvest and War in Nicaragua, edited by Jeff Jones; Gail is among the oral histories 1986
- Select Campaigns and Movements