THE VFA PIONEER HISTORIES PROJECT
Dr. Shere Hite
November 2, 1942 – September 9, 2020
“We Have the Right to Our Own Bodies.” – Shere Hite
Author, sexual revolutionary, research pioneer, cultural historian. Best known as the author/researcher of The Hite Reports. The first is The Hite Report: A Nationwide Study of Female Sexuality, 1976. From 1978 –1988, she was a lecturer in female sexuality at New York University. Additional books include The Hite Report on Male Sexuality, 1981; Women and Love: A Cultural Revolution in Progress, 1987; The Hite Report on the Family: Growing Up Under Patriarchy, 1994; and The Hite Report on Hite: Voice of a Daughter in Exile, 2000. She is also author of Sex and Business: Ethics at Work, 2000.
Photo 1. The Hite Report, first published in 1976. Photo 2. 1976, photographer, Arthur Schatz.
More About Shere:
- Official website of Shere Hite
- Books by Shere Hite on Amazon
- Q&A with Shere Hite by Jasper Rees October 5, 2013
- Selected newspaper clippings 1976 – 1994
- On C-SPAN
- Veteran Feminists of America member feature 2001
- Cited in Barbara Love’s book, Feminists Who Changed America, page 215
- Wikipedia page