THE VFA PIONEER HISTORIES PROJECT
Alan J. Greiman
December 29, 1931 – February 14, 2022
“I encourage you to make this a fair and just world, in any role possible, in any way possible.” – Alan’s advice to his children and grandchildren
Alan has devoted his career to equality and justice. Illinois General Assembly for 14 years; served as Assistant Majority Leader. Co-sponsor of the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment. Sponsored and passed ground-breaking legislation, including the Illinois Domestic Violence Act, Tort Reform Act of 1986, Illinois Administrative Procedures Act, right to public employee collective bargaining, legislation protecting newsrooms from unreasonable searches, “no-fault” divorce in Illinois, and anti-apartheid limitations on public pension funds. Served on the Illinois First District Appellate Court for 16 years; was elected by his colleagues as Chair of the Executive Committee for 11 consecutive years. Implemented innovations in the Appellate Court, including a settlement process for litigants, training for Justices, and expeditious resolution of appeals by Justices and public defenders. Previously served as a Law Motion judge in the Circuit Court and presided over numerous jury trials in the Law Division.
This page was created with love and honor by Alan’s six daughters, December, 2020
Photo 1. Chief sponsor for the ERA, Rep. Alan Greiman, speaks with lobbyists Julie Hamos, Paula Johnson Purdue and Farley Peters. Photo 2. Alan and Julie and their family celebrating Alan’s 85th birthday in Barcelona, 2016. Photo 3. Alan and Julie at the Family Focus Gala, Chicago, 2019.
More About Alan:
- Hon. Alan J. Greiman Obituary
- The Decalogue Society of Lawyers Annual Awards Presentation, Hon. Alan J. Greiman receives the Hebrew University Fellowship Award, November 17, 2020
- Both bodies of the Illinois House of Representatives pay tribute to the Honorable Alan J. Greiman upon his retirement from the House of Representatives and appointment as a Judge in the Illinois Circuit Court of Cook County, audio, 1987
- Records of Alan J. Greiman
- Select Newspaper Clippings
- Is the ERA Boycott Ethical? December 18, 1978
- Illinois House of Representatives complete transcript June 2, 1977